Tuesday 30 April 2013

Number 4 - Solve a Rubiks Cube

In November 2009 I posted this video on YouTube:


Yes that is me, solving a Rubiks Cube, blindfolded; and if you believe its genuine, you need to take a long hard look at yourself!

Contrary to what that video suggests, up until the last week I had never ever solved one of these pain in the arse puzzles (guesses in the comment section on how I actually did the video above!). So as I am out of action for a while (See Number 1 - Ride in an Ambulance) I decided it was time to give it a go...


Ok, ok, so this wasn't my first go - it actually took me 4 days randomly playing with the Rubiks Cube and learning the different algorithms from http://www.rubiks.com/ but I got there in the end.

There is definitely something fantastical wonderful about genuinely solving one of these puzzles by yourself. For the next couple of weeks I feel supremely confident I could complete any 3x3 Rubik's Cube handed to me.

I'm sure I'll forget the algorithms soon so don't expect me to be able to complete one at the drop of a hat!

So here's my advice on solving a Rubik's Cube
  1. You will not solve it by yourself. Honestly. Give up now, and go online to find a how to guide.
  2. Be prepared for many hours of frustration. I frequently got to the final two stages of the guide and messed up, which meant starting again, which may or may not have resulted in me throwing the Rubik's Cube across the room.
  3. Completing the Rubik's Cube with the guide is only stage 1 of completion. Now you have to learn how to complete it without using the guide at all, which means lots and LOTS of trial and error.
  4. Put the cube down. I lost count of the amount of times I became unbelievably frustrated with the Rubik's Cube and it only made matters worse. Sometimes you have to put it down, and come back to it to succeed.
I'd give the experience of solving a Rubik's cube a 9 out of 10. It was extremely frustrating, but it did fill the excess of spare time I have found myself with recently. When you slide that final piece into place - god it feels so good, and your mates look pretty impressed too!

Days to go: 345
Things completed: 4

 Next up, the Ouija Board

No comments:

Post a Comment